A Smooth Order Processing: Server Selection
A number of people who possess online stores, portals and platforms wonder why the product operation speed decreases with time. The causes can be of different types: poorly designed software architecture, database glitches, limited hosting capacities, insufficient server resources, improper setting of system resources, etc.
With the help of certain means, it is possible to reduce the server load and remove some failures. But there is no point to perform extra work if the technical solutions that meet all parameters can be selected at once.
For effective work of the product, it is necessary to select such hosting resources that will suit all product needs. The service of virtual hosting can be used. In such case, a huge number of various websites that belong to different users utilize the resources of one physical server of a particular provider.
Virtual hosting possesses the following advantages:
- its price,
The web interface of provider panel significantly simplifies the process of hosting management. Besides that, the skills of system administration are not required.
But virtual hosting is not suitable for highload sites. The point is that provider limits the processor usage time in order for one client not to block the work of others. A special controlling system detects the sites that have exceeded the acceptable load level and automatically block them. Also, on virtual hosting, it is impossible to install a software that will be able to accelerate the platform work.
Virtual servers do not block the highload sites if they overpass the acceptable load level, but their operation speed can be significantly slow down. The reason is that certain resources of the physical server are distributed among virtual servers. The process time and RW memory are the key aspects. Thus, these facts cause the disadvantages of the virtual server.
- The price of a large scope of RW memory is rather high.
- A high possibility of disk overload by other virtual servers as they are connected to one physical server.
- The server administration is required.
If the site is highload and it is necessary to provide a smooth processing of a large number of orders, then the best solution is the physical server. It can be a dedicated server, own or rented one.
Both own and rented physical server requires the administration procedure — it is necessary to install operation system, application and system software, setting the system of resources monitoring, etc.
In the case of rented server, it is difficult to predict the level of its reliability and the possibility of application hardware crashes. Moreover, the price will depend on the server configuration type.
But while either buying or renting the physical server, it is necessary to select its configuration due to the requirements for load capacities of the product and its server side. The requirements are defined and specified in advance for every product.
For the Fotobook platform, the average duration of user session is 20 minutes, and the active period of system usage equal 18 hours for 100 simultaneous users. Thus, load capacity of the platform is 3000 sessions per day for 100 simultaneous users.
As to the requirements for memory and processor, everything depends on the number of user sessions.
- If the number of ordered photo books per day is 10 and the common number of user sessions per day is 100, then Intel Core i5-2320 3.00 GHz and 8Gb of RW memory are required for the correct work of the platform.
- Intel Core i5-2500 3.30 GHz and 8Gb of RW memory are required for the correct work of the platform under 500 user sessions per day and 50 photobooks orders. The peak number of simultaneously working users is 15.
- If the number of user sessions per day equals 1000, then Intel Core i7-2600 3.40 and 16 Gb RW memory are required. And the peak number of simultaneously working users is 33.
- Intel Xeon E3-1275 v 2 3.50 GHz and 32 Gb RW memory are needed to support 5000 user sessions per day with the peak number of simultaneous working users of 150. The number of ordered photo books per day is 500.
The requirements for storage subsystem should also be taken into account. Fotobook platform requires 300 Mb as an average storage capacity needed for photo book creation. The photo books keeping period equals 6 months.
- If the number of ordered photo books per day is 10, then 1.0 Tb is required.
- 5.0 Tb are needed for storing when the number of ordered photo books per day is 50.
- If the number of ordered photo books per day is 100, then 10.0 Tb is required.
- 50.0 Tb are needed to storage when the number of ordered photo books per day is 500.
Thus, in order to select the proper server for smooth order processing, it is necessary to take into account the requirements for the server side of the platform and its load capacities.